William Stokes Garwood Home
This house is one of the earliest houses in Newburgh. The house sets on four lots. According to Warrick County assessors the house was built in 1842; the two lots of which the house was built on was purchased by Francis Macy in 1850 for $125.
William Stokes Garwood purchased two other Lots in 1856 for $800. Then Garwood purchase the Lots from Francis Macy in 1863 for 1600. Local history States the house was built by Mr Garwood in 1842. William Stokes Garwood and his wife Laura Wilder Garwood lived in the house for many years with her six children. Mrs Garwood, after the death of her husband, continue to live in a house with a daughter, Fanny, until 1925.
Since that time the house has had several owners. Among these were the Sterling Brewing Co., and Mr & Mrs John Bolds who installed the first plumbing and electrical wiring in the early 1930s. Mrs Bold planted a beach tree in the front yard in 1933 that still stands today. In 1959 the house was purchased by John and Patricia Finke. Mrs and Mrs Finke did the first major remodel.
At the time of purchase the house only had one and one half bath and no built-in closets, shelving or storage space. On the outside they added the front porch and railing, the large side patio, planter and fountain and the smaller brick patio. They also installed brick walks and outside lighting.
When first built, the house had four fireplaces, two upstairs and two down. The fireplace and chimneys have been removed, but two of the original mantles with grates remain. The balcony on the front of the house is original and has been reinforced. Due to the age of the residence, the trees in the yard are large, and of many beautiful varieties. A high stone wall borders the property on the State St. side.
The doorways throughout the house are authentic and have been preserved, complete with transoms, despite major remodeling in some areas. The hardware is original and the locks are the type that use "skeleton" keys. The windows still retain the original woodwork inside and out.
In 1976 the Finke's divorced but Patricia remained in the house until 1982 then the house was sold to Mr. and Mrs. Himebaugh.
In 2006 the house was purchased by Janet Richard. Mrs Richard was in the process of renovating the house to its former glory.
Renovations were being completed trying to keep with the period of the house. The property provides a beautiful and spacious setting for the large, gracious home which is rich in years in history, yet suited to elegant modern living.